Here you can find a variety of resources and materials to help guide you in writing your own peer reviews, training others, and collaborating with other researchers to review research manuscripts. If you have any questions or comments about any of our resources, please do not hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com.
All of our resources are openly available for download on Zenodo under a CC BY 4.0 license.
Open Reviewers Toolkit
With a focus on promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion, the Open Reviewers Workshop is designed for researchers at all career levels who are interested in engaging in ethical and constructive manuscript peer review. The Open Reviewers Toolkit comprises of three guides to help with the unbiased composition and assessment of research manuscripts:
- The Bias Reflection Guide is a tool to help a reviewer assess their own biases guiding them through a non-judgmental, self-reflective process.
- The Reviewer Guide is for anyone reviewing a research manuscript. It provides a comprehensive, step-by-step framework for the reviewer to use while they are composing a review
- The Review Assessment Rubric is for anyone evaluating a research manuscript’s review. The rubric comprises 10 statements for which the evaluator is asked to provide a score and a written comment to help improve the review.
Open Reviewers in Africa
In 2022, AfricArXiv, Eider Africa, eLife, the Training Centre in Communication Africa (TCC Africa), and PREreview collaborated to develop a peer-review training workshop called Open Peer Reviewers in Africa, tailored to the region-specific context of African researchers. Read our pilot program re-cap to learn more. Templates of all resources used in the workshop were shared publicly on Zenodo under CC BY 4.0 in English, French, and Arabic languages:
- Trainer guide in English (original), French, and Arabic
- Module I Template Slide Deck in English (original), French, and Arabic
- Module II Template Slide Deck in English (original), French, and Arabic
- Module III Template Facilitation Document in English (original), French, and Arabic. This document is meant to help facilitators lead Live Review in the context of Module III of the workshop.
- Module III Template Assignment Document in English (to be translated into Arabic and French). This template is for facilitators to share with workshop participants as an asynchronous assignment following the Live Review in the context of Module III of the workshop.
Open Grant Reviewers
We partnered with the Open Research Funders Group (ORFG) and the Health Research Alliance (HRA) as part of The Open & Equitable Model Funding Program which aims to embed transparent, equitable, and inclusive practices into research funding. We co-developed training materials for grant reviewers with a focus on identifying and mitigating bias within the grant review process.
- Video Series
- The Bias Reflection Guide is a tool for anyone tasked with evaluating the quality and fit of a grant proposal, either as an internal or external reviewer.
- The Grant Reviewer Guide is a comprehensive, step-by-step framework designed to help anyone who is going through the process of reviewing a grant application proposal, whether directly invited to participate as an external reviewer, or selected through a call for reviewers.
- Open Research Funders group primers
How to start a preprint journal club
How to run a collaborative Live Review
Live Reviews are topic-centered, interactive preprint review calls via a video conference tool such as Zoom. Outputs from Live Reviews can be used to improve a manuscript or be integrated into journal review workflows.
- Live Review Timeline & Checklist
- Live Reviews Information Document
- Registration Form Text Template
- Email Templates for Live Review Authors
- Communication Plan Template
- Collaborative Writing Guide Template
- Review Composition Template
Slide decks & Materials
- About PREreview - a presentation template for using when speaking about the work, values, and mission of PREreview including calls to action for people to get involved in open, preprint peer review.
- How to use PREreview - A how-to-guide for using the PREreview.org platform
- كيفية استخدام المراجعة المسبقة - How to use PREreview in Arabic - هنا جولة سريعة في الموقع وخدماتنا.